With offices in Austin and Beaumont, the attorneys at Creighton, Fox, Johnson & Mills, PLLC represent clients throughout the State of Texas and provide assistance with a wide variety of legal matters.
- Business Entities – advising clients regarding the formation of entities such as corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies; advising and assisting in corporate governance matters; qualifications to do business in other states; mergers & acquisitions; reorganizations.
- Contracts and Commercial Transactions – negotiating, drafting, and reviewing contracts, including stock and assets purchase agreements, commercial leases, service contracts, stockholder buy-sell agreements, and employment agreements.
- Banking and Bank Finance Transactions – representing banks and business owners; preparing and reviewing loan documents.
- Taxation – broad-based tax practice, including estate, gift, generation-skipping and income tax matters; 1031 tax-deferred exchanges involving real and personal property; forming non-profits and obtaining tax-exempt status determination from the IRS; representing clients in tax disputes with the IRS and Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.
- Real Estate – broad-based practice including drafting and reviewing contracts for sale; easements; title disputes; foreclosures.
- Municipal and Governmental Bonds and Municipal Financing Transactions – representing school districts and municipalities in bond elections and issuance; documenting bond transactions; reviewing bond issues; issuing legal opinions.
- Mergers and Acquisitions – preparing and negotiating contracts and ancillary agreements; financing and tax issues; compliance with federal regulations.
- Oil and Gas – drafting and reviewing leases; negotiating and preparing seismic permits, lease option and acreage selection agreements; assignments of mineral and royalty interests; transfers of ownership; title issues; litigation of royalty disputes, lease access and termination disputes, surface damage disputes.
- Construction Law – negotiating, preparing and reviewing all contractual matters, including prime contracts, subcontracts, purchase orders, change orders, and vendor agreements; defense-oriented litigation regarding construction defects and breach of contract matters, collections and claims for payment, payment bond and stop notice enforcement, mechanic’s liens, Miller Act claims litigation, etc.
- Commercial Disputes and Commercial Litigation – strong, effective advocacy in any type of business dispute, including breach of contract and business torts involving allegations of fraud, unfair business practices, or deceptive trade practices.
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights – filing collection suits; assisting in collection and domestication of judgments; attacking fraudulent transfers; enforcing rights under loan and lease documents, including property foreclosures, recovery of leased equipment, and presentation of deficiency claims.
- Health Care and Hospital Law – representing physicians and physician groups with regard to issues arising under various state and federal regulations, including the Stark Law and the federal anti-kickback statute.
Labor and Employment Law
- Labor and Employment – drafting or reviewing employment agreements, including covenants not to compete, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements; representation in employment-related litigation.
- Employee Benefits – researching tax issues and drafting employee benefit plans, such as IRS section 125 Cafeteria Plans.
- Estate Planning and Probate – handling simple to complex matters in estate planning; drafting wills and powers of attorney; tax planning; representation in contested and uncontested probate matters; assistance with estate administration; preparation and filing of federal estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax returns.
- Trusts and Estates – drafting a variety of trusts, including living trusts and life insurance trusts; gifting to children; special needs trusts designed to facilitate Medicaid eligibility.
- Asset Protection Planning – creating vehicles such as trusts and family limited partnerships to protect assets and accumulated wealth from loss in the event of a lawsuit or other sudden personal or professional catastrophe.
- Elder Law – Medicaid planning; special needs trusts; guardianships.